Smoothwall Filter (On Premise)

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. add the name of the box being used in clusters

When trying to troubleshoot using real time monitor, we need to check each box individually to figure out which one a person is using in the cluster. It would be useful if the block message could include the box being filtered through to no longer require this check.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Time periods for blocks in Portal

I would like to be able to have users specify a time period when blocking rooms in the Portal. This would mean that a teacher could block a room during their lesson and have the block automatically removed at the end of the lesson. Unfortunately many folk are forgetful so don't remember to go back in and turn the unblock off again. We (support team) only find out that the room is blocked when we get a huge number of unblock requests or a grumpy teacher phoning up.

http://smoothwall.uservoice.com/forums/145832-general/suggestions/2824706-time-periods-in-portal

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Option to have the same URL in custom categories

Would it be possible to have a enable or disable option which would allow only 1 entry of a url into smoothwall via the custom categories thus preventing having multiple instances within the smoothwall box

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Guardian Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Sort out the NTLM authentication failed dialog

It doesn't look the same as the block page and confuses users (and says contact your administrator rather than who that administrator is)

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  User Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Backup archives should self-delete after a specified period of time

Lots of users are utilizing the automatic backup feature within Smoothwall, but when they navigate to the backup page on older installations, it takes quite a while to load, because of all the prior backups. It would be nice to allow users to specify how LONG they wish to retain backups, to save some space on their systems, and to allow the page to load much more quickly. At the very least, they should be able to delete more than one backup at a time.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Restart Web Proxy on Replicated SWG

In my current setup, we have a Smoothwall and a separate Web Filter (SWG)...If I add an Exemption from the web interface of the Firewall and restart the proxy, I still have to log in to the Web Filter and restart the proxy there.

Ideally, when I click the 'Restart Proxy' link, it should restart the proxy both on the Firewall *and* the Web Filter!

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Central Management, Clustering & HA  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Separate http transparancy filtering

We need the ability to have separate http transparancy filtering for different network areas

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Sending Reports as Attachments, rather than the body of the e-mail

It would be nice for customers to be able to receive reports as .PDF or .XLS attachments, rather than the report being the e-mail body itself. Not everyone will have access to the Smoothwall's GUI itself, but higher-ups may appreciate the convenience of being able to file away those reports as manageable documents that are scheduled and sent.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Provide a mass-delete option in Swurl

If I have a list with lots of entries that I no longer want (e.g. I copied/pasted them in by accident) there is no way for me to mass delete these, I either need to do them individually (per-URL) or remove the list and add it again, which I may not have permission to do (and will affect the policy on the Smoothwall to which I also do not have access)

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Add Delete Option button within the Message Preview Screen in the Email Quarantine Viewer

Would it be possible to add a delete button in the Message preview area of the Email Quarantine Viewer? This would allow the user to delete the message as well as release (that is already there).

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Display and provide automative corrective action for e4defrag

Display in monitoring, diagnostics, somewhere, the weekly results of e4defrag -c /var/log
    and if it suggests running, then automatically run it.

Output looks like this:

e4defrag -c /var/log
    <Fragmented files> now/best size/ext
    1. /var/log/squid/cache.log.6 7/1 1 KB
    2. /var/log/squid/cache.log.14 7/1 1 KB
    3. /var/log/guardian3/downloads/metadata
    12/1 1 KB
    4. /var/log/squid/cache.log.18 8/1 1 KB
    5. /var/log/squid/cache.log.25 7/1 1 KB

Total/best extents 7476/1960
    Average size per extent 370 KB
    Fragmentation score 2
    [0-30 no problem: 31-55 a little bit fragmented: 56- needs defrag]
    This directory (/var/log) does not need defragmentation.
    Done.

Just one more small addition to the idea of a continuous operation…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. System Service indicators can be clicked to restart

On the main dashboard the ability to click one of the Green Tick or Red X buttons to run a command behind the scenes to restart that service, useful for if a service has crashed to save digging around to find the service that has failed or if you wanted to just restart that one item

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Provide a search tool in swurl

If I have lots of lists or lists with lots of items, it would be nice to have a tool to search through these, matching a search string within the URLs.

e.g. Search "smoothwall" would return:

My allow list: smoothwall.net, smoothwall.org
    My block list: foo.bar/smoothwall/img123.jpg

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Add "check the server clock is correct" to the error message when new install is not registered

Current error message just suggests the default gateway is not configured, even when it is. Perhaps add a general check that the internet is accessible before displaying the error too?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. An enhancement to allow a site to move the Smoothwall "AD Computer account" from the default location OU Computers into a subfolder?

After setting up a Smoothwall sync with Active Directory a site may want to change the default location to a subfolder. Smoothwall have advised that this can be done but....

It may not stay there when you restart the authentication service on the Smoothwall and it may cause problems with authentication as the account has been moved from where the Smoothwall is expecting it to be so it is not recommended to move it.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Add support for Citrix Xenserver tools

Add support to allow Citrix Xenserver tools to be installed (VMWare support is there - why not Xenserver?)

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. quarantine

All quarantined email to remain on the firewall without wanting to be forward to an email address

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Hostnames on Connection details and traffic stats report

We currently use the "Connection details and traffic statistics" report to generate a scheduled report at the end of every month. In the group "Interface and Host Bandwidth Usage", is it possible to have the IP address listed as hostnames instead? As we use DHCP (not on SW) more often than not, by the time we cross-ref the reports, the IP addresses given have changed and may not reflect the host at the time of reading the report. 

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Ability to schedule a Guardian restart

Especially useful in a cluster setup. It would be useful to be able to schedule a Guardian restart when for example additional web proxy ports have been configured and a Guardian restart is required for the change to be implemented on all Smoothwall nodes in a cluster.

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Schedule updates to automatically take place at set times of the day?

I'd like the ability to have system updates automatically carried out in the very early hours of the morning. Sometimes when an update is done the system forces a disk check. This results is the system being down for some time. If updates could be scheduled for 3am and the system restsrted afterwards then the effect of the update to the working enviroment would be kept to a minimum

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Guardian Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base