Smoothwall Filter (On Premise)

Any and all ideas and feedback for Smoothwall

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Administrators of Smoothwall should be authentiated via Active Directory/RADIUS (i.e. not local users)

Currently administrators of Smoothwall are local users. I'd like to be able to integrate the administrators to Active Directory or RADIUS..... i.e. no local users. The same could be said for Portal Users. I don't want to have to administer a whole host of local users and passwords.

171 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    under review  ·  6 comments  ·  Authentication  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. comments for exclusion entries

Under the guardian filtering exceptions there's currently no way, besides external documentation, to quickly see why a particular IP has been entered.

It would be nice if each entry could have a comment alongside it so that i can quickly see why that IP is there/what device is on the other end of it.

40 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Guardian Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Additional Features For Real Time Traffic and Reports

Have Real Time Traffic Graph show, in addition to interface traffic, traffic for Locations - users/groups. Example: show Real Time Traffic Graph for student group OR staff group, as opposed to real time traffic for student group AND staff groups. Separate the two (or more) group traffic.

Have Report show traffic graph, via date/time range, for Locations - users/groups/IP in same bandwidth graph format found on Dashboard [external connection].

Example: External Connection 24/hr bandwidth graph is a great tool. In addition, I would like a snapshot of the student group bandwidth using the same graph.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow Youtube videos uploaded by a specific channel

Whilst most schools have Youtube blocked for the majority of students, it would be good to be able to allow videos uploaded by certain channels. A classic example of where this could come in handy is Hegarty Maths. The channel has over 600 videos, going through and collecting each induvidual video ID is just not viable.

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Guardian Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Intrusion Prevention: Correcting False Positives

When there is a false positive block on the IPS, it would be very helpful if there was an easy way to hit "allow" or "unblock". Currently, I have to get the SID, and manually drag through all the policies to find the one policy to 'uncheck'. I use browser hacks, such as "CTRL F" but that is slow and cumbersome.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Firewall & Routing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. SafeGuard Report Custom Time

It would be useful to be able to manually set a time for when the SafeGuard reports are sent to the group in question.
    Our SLT would like to receive filter reports every day at 5pm to analyse ready to discuss with students the next day!

31 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Tanja Erhardt responded

Do most of you find that your SLT are requesting this?

7. the graph stops updating

not a suggestion, but a bug fix. our traffic graph stops updating.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Have a "Search" button on Web Filter

When trying to change settings for a search to track down a problem using the Web filter report, I made the changes to my criteria and couldn't see how to use them to give me search results. Looked for a "search" button. (As a newbie, I wanted to search for blocked pages but couldn't see how to do it AND I am a little puzzled as to why the "Category" box doesn't make use of a Combo Box item for selection ...!

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  User Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. I would like to see a real-time 30 minute graph showing traffic volumes through my internet connection

Lightspeed has, on their dashboard, a graph that shows the total inbound and outbound traffic in a graphical meter that is a great visual on their home page of the dashboard. I have a picture of it if you would like to see it.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Web filter logs unusable

In the days of old it was easy to find specific information in the Web filter logs, if not you export it. Today it is near impossible. For instance im looking for someone using livechatinc.com but it would require me to move the time forward or backward in tiny points. This is impracticable. Computers today are fast enough to display all the data. This screen should act more like a search tool. Type in a machine, IP or user and get the whole day for that user. Type in a domain name and get all the hits. Please fix it.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Show ip in safeguarding reports

Would be nice if as well as the user we could see the IP in the safeguarding reports so we can tell where the pc was without having the trace the user, Teachers like to know where the offence was committed as well.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. IPv6 Support

2015 and no IPv6 support... Like it or not IPv6 is here... and we use it! Please develop support

76 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    started  ·  Chris Humby responded

Hi,

I know it’s been discussed for some time but IPv6 development is finally underway! Thanks for the feedback so far and those who helped fill out our survey.

As it’s a mammoth project to make entire Smoothwall networking and all modules support dual stack IPv4 / IPv6 it will be completed in stages over the next few major releases.

I’m now looking for willing customers who are planning to move to IPv6, or perhaps already are deploying IPv6 on their networks to help us gain valuable feedback as the project develops. This will include discussion on your requirements and early previews of the work we’re doing in our agile demos.

Please email me at chris.humby@smoothwall.net and let me know if you’re interested in participating. I’ll also keep uservoice posted with updates as the work progresses.

Regards,

Chris Humby
    Product Manager
    Smoothwall

13. Smoothwall SAML Integration

Smoothwall customers are increasingly using cloud based services and federating with external user repositories, such as Azure AD/Office 365.

Most of these cloud based directories allow integarion with SAML.  Please considering implementing SAML integarion with Smoothwall

40 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Authentication  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Overblocking Remedy - Temporary Bypass Code

A number of bypass methods to assist with temporary unblocking of content have already been suggested on the Smoothwall UserVoice sub-site.

Here in Australia we have a competitor that provides the facility to generate a temporary bypass single use code from within the User Portal, that can be distributed to users experiencing over-blocking. When generating the code in the User Portal, the Power User/Teacher can set the duration of the bypass. It is expected that the bypass code will only be given to end-users who are being supervised (such as a class, training session).

Selection of which categorise can be…

52 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Guardian Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Foreign Country IP Blocking Dynamic List / Geo Blocking

Most Firewalls allow you to select which countries you would like to block. I can manually add a subnet but each country generally has like 200 subnets to type in. It would nice to select what countries you would like to block and have that list part of a definition file that gets updated like the content filter.

118 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    45 comments  ·  Firewall & Routing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Active Directory group refresh button

When I add users or groups to a windows security group it can take up to half an hour (according to SW) to update the groups.
    (Lightspeed is at login).

Could it be made so the site has more control over this, I'm thinking the ability to force a sync.
    It would be nice if I could change this half hour to what ever I like (within reason) manually in a setting within SW.

We use AD groups to allow access to certain policies EG youtube as I have the classes within my AD already.

Thanks.

Steve

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Guardian Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Temporary Ban

Currently the username entered into temporary bans is case sensitive. I. DOMAIN\jbloggs has no effect but DOMAIN\JBloggs bans the user.

ideally this would be case insensitive

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Guardian Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Controlling specific groups in the Portal filter list management

Allowing control over specific group filter lists so staff cannot allow websites for themselves but can allow websites for students.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Guardian Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. 4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  User Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Audit logs for changes made to console settings

We have had two instances now, where changes have been made to filter policies on the console by Admins, where we needed a log of when and by who the changes were made? We can get when someone logged in, but not what they actually did. This is compliance with the NEN Security guidelines.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Central Management, Clustering & HA  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Smoothwall Filter (On Premise)

Feedback and Knowledge Base