Smoothwall Filter (On Premise)

Any and all ideas and feedback for Smoothwall

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Make the Traffic Graphs page configurable and more concise

The latest iteration of the Traffic Graphs page is worse than ever. The scrolling list of interfaces is not orderable and you cannot see all the interfaces with the current bandwidth on one page without scrolling.

We need to be able to choose which interfaces are monitored - and in which order - and place all of the resizable graphs in any order and size them so that they will all fit on one screen for monitoring purposes. Alternatively, this all needs to be available through a web-api so that custom web pages could be built to show the important…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Radar Lite - Show if request was blocked

Just started using RADAR Lite. Is there a way for you to show if the logged request was blocked or allowed? This would save a load of work trolling through the Smoothwall Logs.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Have a note field against the ip or hostname

Have a note field against the ip or hostname in locations as I have a large bypass list for devices that needs less filtering so a note field would let me keep track of what each device was

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Hide preset policy folder settings

When updating a policy folder with the Who, What and When already configured (for instance), why not hide the Who What and When option boxes and save us some scrolling?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Guardian Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. New line logs (newer timestamp) should be placed in the top of the list

The new line logs (with the newer timestamp) show be placed in the top of the list, because we should see the new lines AND the graphic at the same time, avoiding scrolling and missing info.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Making the block page for adverts e.g. googleadservices.com etc. more clear to end users

It would be handy if there was a way of making the advert blocked message (for googleadservices.com etc) appear more obvious i.e. change the CSS of the resultant page to make the text bold, red in colour and bigger. As it stands it leads to people blaming our system i.e. network\browser\Smoothwall because its almost like a blank screen (with a tiny 'Advert blocked' message in gray writing in the top left of the page - this is very easy to miss and misconstrue as the page not loading. This will only get worse on mobile devices with smaller screens, which…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  User Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Filter IDS logs to show Priority 1

Ability to filter IDS logs to show Priority 1.
    Also make the IDS log searchable.
    Both can be achieved by export, but it would be nice to be able to do it within the web interface.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Firewall & Routing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. SSL VPN Road Warrior - filter by geo location

We get incessant SSL road warrior connection attempts from hostile IP addresses. I can limit by groups and can block IP's manually via firewall rule, but that's a rough way to cut down on this traffic. The VPN control panel is therefore drowning in "unfinished" road warrior connections. I'd love it if there was a geo location way to filter traffic in general, but more specifically for SSL VPN. Especially useful for an SMB like us who only have employees in the U.S. and can safely block SSL VPN attempts from all other countries

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Firewall & Routing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. vpn ssl - control panel

It would be good to know what time a connection was established

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Subscription Expired

After subscription expired, what will happen to its functionality? What features will be disabled and what will remains?

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. We need LACP

The LAN bond feature needs to support LACP, so that, if we are using more than 1 Gigabit WAN connection, we can use it! As it is now, we have 2 ISPs, with 1Gb each. However, because there is only 1 LAN connection, at 1Gbps, the maximum we can send/receive from the WAN is 1 gigabit per second. The LAN connection becomes saturated, even though the ISP connections are only at 50%.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Central Management, Clustering & HA  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Auto Blocking IP's based on rules / policy / triggers.

I spend my mornings checking who has tried to hack us - when I see IP's that have been trying for hours / days I add their IP to my block-list.
    This is now getting too time consuming to manage. Can we not have an auto block to any IP's that continually try to hack us. Maybe we can set some thresholds that when any IP triggers they get an auto block. But going forward I think this is a must.

I am sure my lfd on my Linux web server auto blocks hack attempts. Would love my Smoothwall to…

26 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Firewall & Routing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Colour on block page changes to Amber if it is Softblock (from red for block)

If the page is soft blocked the ribbon across the top should be amber, rather than red when the page is blocked.

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. OPen up a new window when a link is clicked.

I enter an IP and when I click on one of the URLs, it opens in the same page and I need to arrow back to get to Smoothwall. From there my results of the IP I entered are gone along with the IP I entered.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Guardian Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Ability to add notes to exception IP addresses

Quite often when looking through our Smoothwall boxes we come across IP addresses in the exceptions list that we don't recognise. This may be due to settings being implemented a long time ago, or by another member of the team. Our main concern is that if there is an address that we can't identify we need to make sure that it hasn't been implemented as a quick fix solution to bypassing the firewall, therefore exposing a user to potentially inappropriate material.

For example it may be an IP address of the schools boiler monitoring system phoning home, which is fine.…

96 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  User Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Automatic LetsEncrypt SSL certificate generation/renewal for local domains on reverse proxy.

Why can't Smoothwall just generate unique SSL certs requests for each domain it reverse proxies, submit them to LetsEncrypt and handle the 90-day automatic renewal (it is, after all, proxying all requests anyway, so it could handle the ACME protocol renewal).

Then we can just tick a "SSL this site" box for each reverse proxy entry, and we're done.

36 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Filtering by MAC Address

FIltering by Mac address would be a great idea. It seems that locations can only be IP's. I would like to be able to create a group of Mac Addresses that can be filtered together without having to assign static or reserved IP addresses. This would also allow these machines to have the same filtering rules no matter which network they may be on such as a guest network or the main network.
    Thanks.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. IDex Agent exclude specific usernames

Some desktop software uses it's own domain user account to authenticate and communicate with servers. This can cause that user to be logged-in on that workstation rather than the real user.

Option to configure a list of usernames that IDex should ignore if seen by the Agent.

Workaround: Change service usernames to include a $ symbol at the end and they will be ignored by IDex Agent.

57 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    12 comments  ·  Authentication  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Chris Humby responded

We’re planning a small bug-fix update to IDex Agent soon.

If there’s time I’d like to include this feature request too. For now this would likely be an additional configuration field where a list of usernames to exclude can be specified.

Would this fulfil your requirements? Please add your comments to the discussion on uservoice.

20. Tick -box for 'Select Safeguarding ruleset' when editing Notifications

A Tick-box for 'Select Safeguarding ruleset' when editing Notifications to replace the current drop-down list which only lets you select one option. This would mean we don;t have to create a separate notification for each type of safeguarding alert.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Smoothwall Filter (On Premise)

Feedback and Knowledge Base