Smoothwall Filter (On Premise)

Any and all ideas and feedback for Smoothwall

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Safeguarding Notifications exclude nodes

We have a parent node and several child nodes. The parent node doesn't proxy (child nodes handle client proxying) and we report from the parent node. Problem is that if I schedule a weekly safeguarding notification report I get one report from the parent with the report detail and also an empty report from each of the child nodes. I'd like to be able to exclude child nodes from sending out the notifications so that I don't send out empty reports to School Safeguarding officers

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Destination IP column on Realtime Web Filter report

It would be nice to see a Destination IP column alongside the URL column in the Realtime Web Filter report. It would save having to carry out manual DNS lookups.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Allow selection of individual IPSEC VPN links when creating firewall rules

Allow selection of individual IPSEC VPN links when creating firewall rules

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Firewall & Routing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. I have tried on several occasions to move more than one url between categories.

It would appear you can only move 1 at a time which is crazy if you have 40 or more it is extremely long winded.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Guardian Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Show plain text examples

When editing a guardian category (Guardian -> Categories -> Edit relevant block category -> Advanced) it would be nice to see plain English examples of how to add a each block search term. For example "Search term filtering" could show examples and the correct format to add the entries. Same with the other items on this page. Thanks.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. IPS - autoblock probe IPs

It would be useful if Smoothwall had a way of automatically blocking IP addresses of malicious/probe packets dropped by IPS.
    Thanks.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Firewall & Routing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. web filter real time - allow & denied category

many times i just want to watch a real time web filter of a specific IP address and i want to filter only denied request or only allowed requests. currently i can filter only allowed requests partially if i use httpcode 200 but if i want to find blocked requests then i cant just click one box which shows all block codes such as 407 etc. it would be nice to have a filter option to choose show only blocked url requests. so i can see if something is being blocked or not without having to see hundreds of allow…

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Guardian Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Quota disable access to streaming media

Yes given this note: 'Any content being streamed or downloaded by a user will not be stopped when the user’s quota runs out.' This should not be the case at all and there should be a way to make this note no longer valid, have the quota stop all streaming media or downloads when the timer has run itself out.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. slient quota

I was thinking why even have a notification for applying a time quota since even without clicking the button it still works?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Search via phrase

You can search via the report - search terms, but can only select a day and only searches for 2 hour slot.

It would be nice to have a report that you can search for a phrase and select a week, month and show the results.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Searching by IP

The realtime web filter report needs to be able to differentiate between and IP such as 10.41.145.7 and 10.41.145.71 (72, 73, 74 etc).

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Work out where categories are applied

Ability to see where specific Policy Objects, Categories are applied to web filters, content modifications, HTTPS inspections, etc. from the Categories page

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Email a student if they do something that would appear on the daily safeguarding email

It would be good if Smoothwall could email a student if they do something that would appear on the daily safeguarding email?

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Allow access for non-admins to block and unblock pages.

Filter lists can only be updated by admins. Setting users as admins provides unnecessary and possibly risky access, even with the most restrictive permissions. Providing a user portal or other method for specified users to block or unlock pages would be helpful.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. request for searchable firewall logs as well as a request for the ability to create periods of firewall logs (say for periods of 2 weeks).

request for searchable firewall logs as well as a request for the ability to create periods of firewall logs (say for periods of 2 weeks).

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. SNMP Location String

It would be nice if you could allow updating/populating an location string for SNMP polling. Larger organizations like ours support and maintain content filters in multiple locations and also monitor those devices using network monitoring software. The ability to set an SNMP location string allows us to group by location in or monitoring platforms and better respond to site issues.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Option to select which nodes send a Safeguarding notification

We have several child nodes which send their reporting data to the Parent
    node which handles reporting. This means that when I schedule Safeguarding notifications I get a full detail report from the parent along with empty reports from each of the child nodes.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Report showing Top Users and each User's Top 10 websites

Our most common report requests are to run a monthly report on an AD group showing the Top 100 users by total time spent and a summary for each user showing their Top 10 URLs accessed. This could be made into a simple template for AD Group membership reporting with options to allow us to choose browse time and/or bandwidth

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Schedule reports for specific date ranges

Investigation reports take ages to run and to get round this we would usually schedule an investigation report but you don't appear to be able to set a date range for the reporting data. You can only set a date for the schedule. e.g. I would schedule a user investigation report to run tonight to report on activity generated last month

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Report on "additional" interface IPs

Report on "additional" interface IPs
    We have added additional IPs to some interfaces (used when migrating from old proxy solution to Smoothwall). I'm trying to report on who is hitting those IPs to determine which clients are miss configured with the old proxy IPs but it just doesn't seem possible.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Smoothwall Filter (On Premise)

Feedback and Knowledge Base