Smoothwall Filter (On Premise)

Any and all ideas and feedback for Smoothwall

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Blocked pages feature request

It would be really useful the 'Blocked' pages URL included the full URL...at present, they are truncated.

Thanks

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Guardian Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Enable or disable HTTPS inspection depending on transparent or non-transparent proxy

Enable or disable HTTPS inspection depending on transparent or non-transparent proxy.

For instance, with our previous filtering provider (RM SafetyNet+) we could let guest users access the internet with transparent proxy where HTTPS interception would NOT be performed (no need for additional certificates), or set school devices to use sslfilter.proxy.swgfl.org.uk where HTTPS interception would apply.

I understand HTTPS inspection can be enabled or disabled by location, but most primary schools only have flat networks and a single DHCP scope.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Guardian Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Show IP address / mac address and DNS name of station / location and record all of them in the log.

If you only record the ip address, in a DHCP environment it's difficult track back and check where and /or what machine was used to browse a certain URL or violate policy.

Please ensure that the smoothwall logs contain the DNS name / mac address picked up in realtime when the log is recorded.

Thanks .

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Add options to block/allow for specific categories

On the quick block/allow page add the option of adding to a specific category.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Category Folder Name

I'd really like the ability to name a category folder.

A folder that I can name "Google for Education" for example and within that folder I can add the various allow and blocking policies. Currently, If I careate a folder with the "Who " and "What" fields blank, so I can stipulate them within the folder, I can't see what the folder is used for unless I open it.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. No block page with Request button for "Server Socket Error"

Currently, non-filtering errors such as "Server Socket Error" or various SSL Certificate errors cause the SmoothWALL block page to come up. The users think it's because we blocked them from the page, and send us requests to unblock (no one reads or understands the "Reason" details) a webpage that isn't blocked.

Please give us conditional control over different types of server errors so that we can "drop connection" or use a custom block page for them.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. fdsfds

fdfdsf

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. safegurading module - probable false positives

the following entry came up on safeguarding report.

Intolerance http://www.intmensorg.info/images/thamestidewaytunnel.jpg

I am not sure if this is correct. Please check if it's not the correct caegory or is not a safeguarding issue please correct the error or fix the engine.

Thanks

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. I have tried on several occasions to move more than one url between categories.

It would appear you can only move 1 at a time which is crazy if you have 40 or more it is extremely long winded.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Show plain text examples

When editing a guardian category (Guardian -> Categories -> Edit relevant block category -> Advanced) it would be nice to see plain English examples of how to add a each block search term. For example "Search term filtering" could show examples and the correct format to add the entries. Same with the other items on this page. Thanks.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. web filter real time - allow & denied category

many times i just want to watch a real time web filter of a specific IP address and i want to filter only denied request or only allowed requests. currently i can filter only allowed requests partially if i use httpcode 200 but if i want to find blocked requests then i cant just click one box which shows all block codes such as 407 etc. it would be nice to have a filter option to choose show only blocked url requests. so i can see if something is being blocked or not without having to see hundreds of allow…

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Quota disable access to streaming media

Yes given this note: 'Any content being streamed or downloaded by a user will not be stopped when the user’s quota runs out.' This should not be the case at all and there should be a way to make this note no longer valid, have the quota stop all streaming media or downloads when the timer has run itself out.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. slient quota

I was thinking why even have a notification for applying a time quota since even without clicking the button it still works?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Work out where categories are applied

Ability to see where specific Policy Objects, Categories are applied to web filters, content modifications, HTTPS inspections, etc. from the Categories page

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Allow access for non-admins to block and unblock pages.

Filter lists can only be updated by admins. Setting users as admins provides unnecessary and possibly risky access, even with the most restrictive permissions. Providing a user portal or other method for specified users to block or unlock pages would be helpful.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Hide preset policy folder settings

When updating a policy folder with the Who, What and When already configured (for instance), why not hide the Who What and When option boxes and save us some scrolling?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Subscription Expired

After subscription expired, what will happen to its functionality? What features will be disabled and what will remains?

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. More Time Slot Options

Your competitors gave us the ability to set schedules not just by recurring weekly time slots, but by specific dates as well. This helps a lot when there will be events or people on campus that need the filter changed/disabled but only temporarily. This enables Sys Admins to schedule these things without having to worry about it after hours or on days off. For instance, I find out that there will be a team of contractors on campus during summer during a certain set of days when I happen to be scheduled to be out of the country on vacation…

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. OPen up a new window when a link is clicked.

I enter an IP and when I click on one of the URLs, it opens in the same page and I need to arrow back to get to Smoothwall. From there my results of the IP I entered are gone along with the IP I entered.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 8 9
  • Don't see your idea?

Smoothwall Filter (On Premise)

Feedback and Knowledge Base