Any and all ideas and feedback for Smoothwall

IPv6 Support

2015 and no IPv6 support... Like it or not IPv6 is here... and we use it! Please develop support

76 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Nick Kershaw shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
started  ·  Chris Humby responded  · 

Hi,

I know it’s been discussed for some time but IPv6 development is finally underway! Thanks for the feedback so far and those who helped fill out our survey.

As it’s a mammoth project to make entire Smoothwall networking and all modules support dual stack IPv4 / IPv6 it will be completed in stages over the next few major releases.

I’m now looking for willing customers who are planning to move to IPv6, or perhaps already are deploying IPv6 on their networks to help us gain valuable feedback as the project develops. This will include discussion on your requirements and early previews of the work we’re doing in our agile demos.

Please email me at chris.humby@smoothwall.net and let me know if you’re interested in participating. I’ll also keep uservoice posted with updates as the work progresses.

Regards,

Chris Humby
Product Manager
Smoothwall

9 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just tried to contact Chris but looks like he no longer works at smoothwall as his email address bounces back. I would like to see an update as I would like to start using IPv6 externally.

• Stuart commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just found out smoothwall does not support IPv6. It's the latter part of 2018, and it has been stated support for IPv6 would be in the 2016 development schedule. Smoothwall needs to get a handle on this sooner rather than later.

• Jay Duff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We just received a block of IPv6 addresses today. I still don't see a way to assign an IPv6 address to an interface, and we're on Leeds-4. It's been 13 months since the last status update. I'll be emailing Chris shortly, but I think a public status update is in order.

Thanks!

• Chris Shearing commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was just looking into IPv6 support for our ISP and thought to check on Smoothwall support and came across this,

I'm interested to know if the IPv6 plans involve the Smoothwall appliance passing all requests on though a single IPv6 address, or preserving the communication and allowing each connection to continue on a unique IPv6 address?

There are occasionally issues as all connections appear from the same IP Address any throttling or blocking mechanisms that detect much usage currently effect all users, so communication via a unique IPv6 address would solve these issues.

Thanks!

• Chris Shearing commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was just looking into IPv6 support for our ISP and thought to check on Smoothwall support and came across this,

I'm interested to know if the IPv6 plans involve the Smoothwall appliance passing all requests on though a single IPv6 address, or preserving the communication and allowing each connection to continue on a unique IPv6 address?

There are occasionally issues as all connections appear from the same IP Address any throttling or blocking mechanisms that detect much usage currently effect all users, so communication via a unique IPv6 address would solve these issues.

Thanks!

• Aaron Maricic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any updates on IPv6 support and when it will be available? Our ISP will have IPv6 support as of mid-June and we would very much like to take advantage of this capability.

• Daniel Loughlin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have been fully IPv6 for that last 5 years. You just lost a sale becaused of your lack of IPv6 support.

• ZaK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

According to technical support it is being looked into but Smoothwall is not committed to it? What part of 2016 are we looking at please?

Feedback and Knowledge Base