Any and all ideas and feedback for Smoothwall

Reporting again Please vote if you want to change this. We require simple reports that we can hand over to our HR team about users interne

Reporting again Please vote if you want to change this.

We require simple reports that we can hand over to our HR team about users internet activity. Something that would say joe bloggs was on Facebook at 14:00 for 2 Hrs on this date.

Every report we run means we have to spend hours simplifying these reports for a non IT person to be able to understand.

Subject name on each group in a report so multiple queries can be run in a single report with simple headings for each group query. This will help creating reports for managers with easy readable headers.

304 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Simon Powell shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
started  ·  Chris Humby responded  · 

Hi,

This is one of our most voted ideas and we used the feedback to help build our Safeguarding reports in Framlingham and Glamis releases. Aim was to provide something that;

• Simple and easy to understand so it can be delivered and used directly by Safeguarding officers, HR and other non-IT personnel with minimal understanding of web technology.
• Highlighted the breaches and intent with specific colour coded breach levels and relevant information highlighting the user intent.
• Report broken down in to headers on a per user basis.
• Ability to delegate, email or print reports directly to the relevant department, minimising IT departments overheads with this work.

We know many customers are using these reports already and have received much positive feedback.

However, I can see from previous comments there’s still room for improvement and you have some smart ideas on how to take this further. I’m keen to get into the details around this so if you’re interested in contributing please either contribute to the comments on the idea or contact me direct: chris.humby@smoothwall.com. Thanks!

25 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We too built our own reports for use in school, the provided ones were overkill. A very simple fix would be the ability to add custom headers and custom paragraphs to help split and/or explain sections of a report in place; page breaks would be good too.

• Jaminben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Add me to the list... the current 'Full Audit' is simply overkill and a much simpler report is needed.

• JRA commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still got to keep this going, totally necessary for us to have concise reporting on this.

The Safeguarding reports are the least/never used reports in our school. Not sure what the original requestor was talking about, but I need simpler formats on everything on the Reports menu. Safeguarding is a minor improvement and like I said, not needed.

• AdminChris Humby (Product Manager, Smoothwall) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

From past comments I can see following points raised:

- Safeguarding reports aren't simple enough? We did strip out much technical detail already but could remove more or make it clearer?

- False positives are an issue? Is this an issue with some sites being mis-categorised as safeguarding breaches?

• Gary Holder commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Tanja, I would agree with the below comments. Whilst the safeguarding feature is a welcome addtition is doesn't really address the requirements on this user voice request.

• Giovanni Urso commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can't believe this has been marked as completed when it's far from it. Reports are way too complicated for non IT personnel to understand or even be useful. The Safeguarding reports do not offer comprehensive browsing history of users or groups with too many false positives.

• Richard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is this really complete? Is there now a report which provides only the requested URL rather than the returned URL?

• Gary Holder commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

But the reporting is still cumbersome and is not presented in a clear and concise manner, and still requires simplifying. The safeguarding reports still offer far to many false positives to be used in pastoral team alerts.

• Tim Sparks commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a constant topic of discussion with our safeguarding lead, technical staff can't make safeguarding judgments. We're the least trained staff in this aspect and have the least contact time with students. Pastoral staff however need a translation or abstraction they can show a concerned parent or vulnerable student. Completely agree.

Just voted x3 for this - can't believe when you look that the original post was from SEVEN months ago!

• zag commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This really needs to be fixes ASAP, the reports are next to useless in their current form.

Reporting needs a revamp to make this more easily accessible and understandable to Health & safety officers and teachers.

• Mark Crawford commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This needs to be done sooner rather than later. Teachers/SLT don't care about a massive URL string, they just want to know which sites students were browsing, when and for how long.

• Jarrod Coombes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with others here, the reporting in Smoothwall is just shy of useless. We need a better UI and possibly some wizard type things to better enable the running of reports. If/when we receive our next discovery request we are going to have a VERY hard time filling it.

Nick Kershaw - Many thanks for taking the time to reply. I almost had it working but had problems with the log showing the correct users and groups. Smoothwall support couldn't get it working either, so I reverted to a single system setup. Maybe it works better now; this was about 12 months ago. If I can find the time, I may give it another go. Cheers.

• Nick Kershaw commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Anonymous - create a cluster (central management), the parent can be your reporting server (without traffic flow if needed) and your normal smoothwall box can be a child (with central logging enabled). Works fine for us.

I spent ages trying to setup a second Smoothwall box to host the reporting database but eventually gave up; even after help from support. I find reports take ages to run and have a big impact server resources. It would be great if you could 'export' the database to another host so you could run reports against it without impacting on your main server. Wishful thinking I'm sure...

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base