Smoothwall Filter (On Premise)

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. IDex Agent exclude specific usernames

Some desktop software uses it's own domain user account to authenticate and communicate with servers. This can cause that user to be logged-in on that workstation rather than the real user.

Option to configure a list of usernames that IDex should ignore if seen by the Agent.

Workaround: Change service usernames to include a $ symbol at the end and they will be ignored by IDex Agent.

57 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    12 comments  ·  Authentication  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Chris Humby responded

We’re planning a small bug-fix update to IDex Agent soon.

If there’s time I’d like to include this feature request too. For now this would likely be an additional configuration field where a list of usernames to exclude can be specified.

Would this fulfil your requirements? Please add your comments to the discussion on uservoice.

2. Administrators of Smoothwall should be authentiated via Active Directory/RADIUS (i.e. not local users)

Currently administrators of Smoothwall are local users. I'd like to be able to integrate the administrators to Active Directory or RADIUS..... i.e. no local users. The same could be said for Portal Users. I don't want to have to administer a whole host of local users and passwords.

174 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  6 comments  ·  Authentication  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Enhancement - Real Time Web Filter Log

Under - Logs and reports » Logs » Web filter

It would be helpful and a lot less time consuming if you could hover over the user name and have 4/5 standard reports the admin can run against this user.

This would complement the real time web filter view, as if there was a breach you could pause the log, hover over the user name that has breached a web policy and run a quick report.

Reports would be standard Smoothwall templates (user analysis reports for that username)

83 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Copy a category / category group

Isn't it good to be able to clone a category group ? this way you can make a copy modify and apply to a policy as a test. If it goes wrong at least you have the original to go back to.

42 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’re beginning design on a new cloud-based management interface. Among lots of cool improvements for managing your Smoothwall(s), we’ll be redesigning the management of the filtering, and being able to copy things will be included. No timescales on it right now… but it’s on it’s way!

5. Andriod, IOS Managment APP

What are the chances of having a App so that we can access core functions of smoothwall from our mobile devices, IE restart server, quick block/unblock basic log searching.

The amount of times we are asked to block or unblock a site but we are not near our control pc so if there was a quick use app.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Central Management, Clustering & HA  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Right now… zero :(

There’s currently no way to make an app control the Smoothwall directly. But… future work we have planned require us to write APIs which would allow exactly that sort of thing. An app is not to of the pile of things to do once we have an API – better management interfaces and systems in general are – but it’s not out of the question.

6. Failover Authentication

Similar to "If NTLM Authentication fails instead of displaying the "NTLM failed" message, to apply the unauthenticated group permissions"

I would like to suggest that there should be failover authentication methods. This would be useful for mixed environments that cannot be segregated by location and if for example kerberos/NTLM fails it redirects to SSL

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. More filters on report/logging page

When viewing web filter logs it would be useful if could filter logs by location to, so we can narrow down to particular subset or room which we have specified in locations.
    Being able to exludes codes or groups would be useful too, as we may want to look at all logs apart from staff group for example, currently would need to filter by each group other than staff. With groups it is useful to filter out succesful pages and show those with errors or blocks. again have to filter by specific group currently.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Avahi reflector for lans / vlans

Add Avahi for mdns / bonjour reflection between lans and vlans (eg wireless vlan and domain lan) to enable airplay services to run.

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Firewall & Routing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Change HTTPS Inspection Warning Page Images to be the organisations logos like on the SSL Login Page and Block Page

Change the HTTPS Inspection (MITM) Warning Page Images to be the organisations logos like on the SSL Login Page and Block Page.

At current, the HTTPS Inspection warning page has a smoothwall logo and is currently not customisable.

You should be able to adjust the Images like the Blockpage or SSL Login Page images, Preferably the Same as the Block Pages Images.

43 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  3 comments  ·  Guardian Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Guardian Bypass to be LDAP linked to group of accounts

At the moment we've got an additional administrative user set up on our Smoothwall (unblock) and a password that we change on a monthly basis and write up in the staff room. Staff inevitably forget the password, type it in view of kids, talk about it...

It would be useful if we could map a Smoothwall group to have permission to Guardian Bypass and they could then use their domain accounts; e.g. Staff mapping, allow guardian bypass, and then instead of the fixed username/password they could just type staffjbloggs and their own password to unblock.

Might encourage them to take…

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  3 comments  ·  Guardian Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Limited User to just block/unblock sites

Hello. It would be a great idea to have users set-up who have access to the "quick allow/block" sites section ONLY within Guardian. This would alleviate lots of work load off of the ICT department and allow designated "power users" to assign blocked sites and vise-versa.

At the moment, you can only assign a non-administerative user access to the whole of guardian, which isn't a great idea.

An update for this would be great.

Regards,
    Frankie - Blue Coat School Birmingham.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Guardian Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Safeguarding report user access level

We need an option to only allow a group to report on a specific group.
    For example, Staff should only be able to report on students, not each other and Admins.
    This is true for both the new Safeguarding section, and the traditional reports. The alert email also contains information above the level of the group receiving the email.

105 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. SafeGuard Report - Improvements Suggestions

Suggested improvements to the emailed Safeguarding report,

■ Include the dates to show the time period of the report

■ a summery of number of alerts in each category

■ number of alerts next to user name

■ highlight students with multiple alerts in different Safeguarding groups

■ Authentication User Groups filtering, to report on certain groups,

■ Hyper Linked in Email to access the drill functions, on Smoothwall device.

thank you

28 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  Tanja Erhardt responded

We are looking to add filtering by group at some point. Some of the other items are also under discussion.

14. Firewall tab

Dan was at a meeting on monday and asked if we have any thoughts about how the firewall side of smoothwall could be improved.

I have just had a thought.. would it be possible to have a tab that says Firewall rather than Network so all firewall features fall under this tab. Network settings such as VLANs and interfaces would fall under the Network tab and Guardian and filtering would fall under the Guardian/Filtering tab?

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I’ve had the same thought Tim – I think the network settings may well fall under System and the networking tab will just become firewall related stuff. Not sure yet…still in the works!

15. Smoothwall has to be integrated with Archsight

We are having a serious problem with smoothwall that cannot transfer its logs to Arcsight because there is no any integration feature right now. Syslog does not transfer webfilter log either..There must be solution about it.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  User Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’re aware of the growing desire to be able to integrate with SIEM tools. But there are no current plans to do it – but it will be considered for future additions to the roadmap.

16. Reporting

The Reporting section is still pretty unusable. It does not have many useful reports and the process of creating custom one is still as tedious and confusing as ever. This has been and remains as the "Achilles heel" for Smoothwall .....

28 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Do you have a question? Does you "Could this page be improved?" work for you?

Does the button at the bottom of the page saying "Could this page be improved?" actually display a form when it opens?

I do like to voice my frustrations about niggles, I was presented with an empty page! Where to voice my niggles now, the niggles page is a niggle itself!

Click on yours, does it work? if not vote it up!

I called Smoothwall and it worked for the guy, but the guy next door not, and a few others, hit and miss it seems!

A very embarrassing one I thought considering my "highly advanced" web blocker cant display…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  User Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Could well be an issue with the connectivity to Uservoice – that’s all the pop up window on the Smoothwall is actually doing – it’s not just a straightforward form.

We’ll work it out…

18. Let me search the firewall logs by the second

In the Guardian Log Viewer, data stacks up really quickly - especially as school starts, and everybody boots up the devices. It's wasting a lot of time looking for something that happened, say, 23 seconds after the minute. Being able to search by the second would be much better!

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi, this is a really good point. We’re aiming to overhaul the firewall log viewer this year (among a lot of other firewall improvement work) and it’s obviously an equally good idea for the Guardian log viewer… we’ll see what we can do.

19. Active Directory authentication should use the Global Catalog

I have 5 sub-domains in my forest. Only accounts at the forest root can log in without having to type in their domain.

If the Smoothie were able to make it's LDAP queries to the Global Catalog, no one, in any domain, would have to type in their domain information.

Every product I have, that uses Active Directory for authentication, has the capability to use the Global Catalog. I can't figure out why SmoothWall does not.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Highlight blocked packets in realtime firewall log

Hi there, if we had the option to highlight packets that had actually been blocked by the firewall in the realtime log with say a red highlight this would be very useful for quickly working out if a port was blocked and help to diagnose issues. If you could put a checkbox on there too so it only shows blocked packets and not the port forwards that would be good. Maybe even green highlights for the allowed packets.

Thanks

Andy

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

This is one of a few firewall “ease of use” changes we’re hoping to make as soon as we get chance!

← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base