Smoothwall Filter (On Premise)

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow expanable colums

Currently when using Web Filter I'm not able to view the full URL that users access depending on the character length, to get round this I have to click Advanced then remove and re-add the URL column. Can you make the columns expandable so I'm able to expand a column by dragging it?

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  User Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. SafeGuard Ruleset 'ALL' Report

It'd be useful to select 'All' as a ruleset option when manually running a web report on the SageGuard section.

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Tanja Erhardt responded

It would be useful to understand the usecase for this and how important this is – please feel free to get in touch

3. web filter real time - allow & denied category

many times i just want to watch a real time web filter of a specific IP address and i want to filter only denied request or only allowed requests. currently i can filter only allowed requests partially if i use httpcode 200 but if i want to find blocked requests then i cant just click one box which shows all block codes such as 407 etc. it would be nice to have a filter option to choose show only blocked url requests. so i can see if something is being blocked or not without having to see hundreds of allow…

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Guardian Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Output web requests to syslog

The logging taking place on Smoothwall is quite good, though doesnt appear to integrate with SIEM audit solutions. If a user accesses a website (i.e. www.dodgysite.com) would like this event sysloged out (perhaps in CEF format) by the web filter process to allow this to integrate with a third party logging solution.

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Configure SSL login page with user agreement page.

Would love for the SSL Logic to be able to apply a user agreement page so before users can gain access aftyer login they would have to agree to the terms and conditions of internet use. Woud love to add our internet policy to the page.

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Mobile Devices  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Ability to schedule a Guardian restart

Especially useful in a cluster setup. It would be useful to be able to schedule a Guardian restart when for example additional web proxy ports have been configured and a Guardian restart is required for the change to be implemented on all Smoothwall nodes in a cluster.

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. 22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Allow DNS names in destination exceptions

Feature request from customer.

In Guardian > Web Filter > Exceptions > Manage destination exceptions, I'd like to be able to use dns names, not just IP addresses.

Why? We use transparent auth for BYOD staff devices for ease of config. Certain apps on those devices assume a direct https connection and don't play nicely with transparent auth.

So I could use an exception, right? Provided I know that it's safe to do so for that destination.

Unless the service I'm connected to is load-balanced and my request could be served by server01.region.domain.com or server45.region.domain.com or server87.otherregion.domain.com depending on their…

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Request Unblock to include reason

When an unblock request to the administrator, it would be very helpful if the unblock request email included the reason the page was blocked along with the username, comment, and URL. This would save me lots of time as I wouldn't have to recreate the scenario (user, groups, location, etc) to know why the page was blocked to know how to unblock it, if prudent.

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. uefi boot

Hi,

Is it possible to have the Smoothwall boot with UEFI? Both ISO/CD/DVD and grub? It should be not that big issue I guess. More info for boot debian by uefi: https://wiki.debian.org/UEFI

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Need a way of sending log files onto a syslog server or SIEM.

This idea seems to have been raised however I will add my voice to it. Sending web browsing logs to a SIEM is key for Security Operations as;
    1. SecOps need to see what internal host is talking to whatever site on the internet and vice versa
    2. Retain and be able to retrospectively query web filter logs for Security or Forensic purposes

Retaining the logs in a JSON file without giving admins the ability to either pull this content from the appliance or push it out to a logger creates a huge security blind spot.

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. SSL VPN Certificate

Can you update the VPN subsystem so that the certificate is generated with SHA256 (or better) instaead of md5, as newer versions of OpenVPN clients don't support md5 hash algorithms.

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Authentication  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Group Mapping to AD OUs

Mapping users to Smoothwall groups from Organisational Units in Active Directory would be more useful than the current: by AD security group.

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Authentication  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Time based controls on Content Modifications

I really, really need time based controls for youtube in the content mods.

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Guardian Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. In Guardian/Webfilter/Exceptions it would be useful to be able to put a little explanation or name to each exception to explain to other tec

In Guardian/Webfilter/Exceptions it would be useful to be able to put a little explanation or name to each exception to explain to other techies in my organisation what each exception is in the list for. I think this is done on rival platforms (Cyberoam) by having IP address (and range) ‘named objects’ which are then assigned to the list.

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Realtime Logs option to show most recent at the top

Change the time order so real time web reports show newest on top

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Sort by column

Bring back the ability to sort pages by column!

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  User Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. IDex Agent replicate all groups on first install

IDex Agent by default replicates AD group overnight, however on new install it would be useful if it did this once automatically to allow group mapping.

Current workaround is to use manual command; https://kb.smoothwall.net/Content/authentication/idexdirectory-synchronize.htm

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Authentication  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Colour on block page changes to Amber if it is Softblock (from red for block)

If the page is soft blocked the ribbon across the top should be amber, rather than red when the page is blocked.

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Traffic Graph

Could we see the timeline along the bottom of the traffic graph? I would like the graph to be a lot larger, also. I would like to be able to choose the time frame for the graph, such as last 5 minutes, last 30 minutes, last hour, etc etc.

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base