Smoothwall Filter (On Premise)

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Tie safeguarding reports to blocked / allowed activities

I have a product improvement suggestion that would aid us greatly in finding an actual use for the safeguarding part of the Smoothwall UTM product.

At present, there is no real link between the Safeguarding instant notifications & reports, and the web filtering logs that they are built upon. Usually, when we discover a real safeguarding issue after trawling through a large quantity of false safeguarding flags, we currently have to go back through the logs to establish whether the noted issues were or were not actually blocked. This takes a lot of time, and is essential to be able…

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Temporary group mapping in User Portal

We want the ability in the User Portal the teachers can temporary add active directory groups to a smoothwall group. In some cases teachers want to allow or deny for example YouTube for a specific lesson. For the perfect result the administrator can filter the Active Directory and Smoothwall groups, so the teachers can only map allowed groups.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Make it possible to set an End Date for firewall rules

I am regularly told that a port needs to be opened for a fairly brief period of time - sometimes it's just one day, sometimes a week or a couple of months. It would be great if I could set up the firewall rule and at the same time specify a date & time when the rule expires. (even better if I could have a choice of whether to delete it, disable it, or notify me of the fact that I need to check if the rule is still needed.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Firewall & Routing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Hyperlink to Category or Category Group

Hyperlink to Category or Category Group from Guardian\Web Filter\Manage Policies

i.e. be able to click the "What" field and be taken directly to the Categrory \ Category Group

Many the same fot the Where Field too.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Blocked pages feature request

It would be really useful the 'Blocked' pages URL included the full URL...at present, they are truncated.

Thanks

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Guardian Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Re-orgnize Menus and Dashboard

I have worked on many firewall devices and see the GUI of Fortigate is very easy for the user.
    I recommend the Smoothwall's GUI should be similar.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  User Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Enable or disable HTTPS inspection depending on transparent or non-transparent proxy

Enable or disable HTTPS inspection depending on transparent or non-transparent proxy.

For instance, with our previous filtering provider (RM SafetyNet+) we could let guest users access the internet with transparent proxy where HTTPS interception would NOT be performed (no need for additional certificates), or set school devices to use sslfilter.proxy.swgfl.org.uk where HTTPS interception would apply.

I understand HTTPS inspection can be enabled or disabled by location, but most primary schools only have flat networks and a single DHCP scope.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Guardian Filtering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Address Objects to include DOMAIN WILD CARDS (like *.domain.com)

Due to the development of Cloud Services I need to place domain wildcards into Smoothwall Address Objects instead of ever changing IP Addresses.
    Address Objects ONLY allow IP addresses and ranges but this does not work where external IP addresses are changing unpredictably under a DNS domain (where the Domain name remains constant of course).
    An increasing number of cloud services make this feature increasingly urgent.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Update IPSec VPN site-to-site to use SHA2 at minimum

When testing IPSec VPN site-to-site with other vendors (PFSense for example), SmoothWall will only negotiate phase 1/2 using SHA1. In the web UI it simply shows "SHA" without the ability to choose SHA1, SHA256, or SHA512. Using SHA1 is obviously sub-optimal and should be updated to accommodate modern cryptography.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Firewall log viewer should have a NOT boolean function

In the firewall viewer it should be possible to have a NOT option. This is a standard feature on other firewall products. e.g. if wanting to see all the traffic from a particular IP address except ports 80 & 443.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Show IP address / mac address and DNS name of station / location and record all of them in the log.

If you only record the ip address, in a DHCP environment it's difficult track back and check where and /or what machine was used to browse a certain URL or violate policy.

Please ensure that the smoothwall logs contain the DNS name / mac address picked up in realtime when the log is recorded.

Thanks .

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Reporting enhancement: list 20 previous URLs prior to a block

Reporting enhancement: list 20 previous URLs prior to a block

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. put some lines across the page of something

With a lot of pages, like this one the list of rooms is on the left and the allow block is on the right. It is easy to pick the wrong one. I have to reduce the window size until the bottom of the page provides a rule across the page

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Increase Key/IKE Lifetime maximums to 600 minutes

Currently, we are unable to setup an IPSec connection to Google Cloud Platform as they require 36000 seconds / 600 minutes / 10 hours as their Phase 1 lifetime but the Smoothwall does not support lifetimes over 28800 seconds / 480 minutes / 8 hours.

https://cloud.google.com/vpn/docs/concepts/supported-ike-ciphers

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. GLOBAL replicated firewall rules

GLOBAL replicated firewall rules that can be replicated to child nodes, just like Guardian policies in a tenant environment.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Provide statistics on which firewalls have been used, how much, and when.

I have a large number of firewall rules. When I do an audit it would be great to be able to see information relating to how used the rule has been - the number of packets, the volume of data, the typical hours of use, the host distribution, and the last time traffic was permitted to the rule.

This would make it much easier for me to identify which rules are actually no longer needed, and also provide information as to how the rules might be tightened.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. 'Earlier' and 'Later' buttons

I would like to see the 'Earlier' and 'Later' navigation buttons at the bottom of the realtime web filter page. At present, they are only at the top and the user needs to scroll back up to the top of the page to progress forward in time or go backwards.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  User Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Ability to notify any pending updates by email

Ability to notify any pending updates by email to individual or group email address. This would use the same smtp credentials as the report notifications section, outgoing settings.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  User Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Subnet Routing Verification & Automatic Undo after 10 seconds

Currently, if I type in a incorrect route, lets say I did a 10.60.4.0/20 . It accepts it, even though the subnet should start at 10.60.0.0. This in essence makes you believe your route is in place but the Smoothwall simply ignores it. It would be nice to see a validation or do what Watchguard/Other firewalls do and prevent incorrect routes being put in.

Additionally, when a route is put in, it should apply the setting but then undo itself after 10-15 seconds unless you confirm it. Similar to when you change resolution on a windows PC. This will then…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. No block page with Request button for "Server Socket Error"

Currently, non-filtering errors such as "Server Socket Error" or various SSL Certificate errors cause the SmoothWALL block page to come up. The users think it's because we blocked them from the page, and send us requests to unblock (no one reads or understands the "Reason" details) a webpage that isn't blocked.

Please give us conditional control over different types of server errors so that we can "drop connection" or use a custom block page for them.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 59 60
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base